[Ifeffit] graphics and fit

Bruce Ravel ravel at phys.washington.edu
Tue May 18 20:40:20 CDT 2004

On Tuesday 18 May 2004 04:22 pm, Stefano Ciurli wrote:
> >As I happen to be in Italy (at Elettra) at the moment and am on the
> >same time, I thought I would reply.  Have you tried using the
> >artemis module for reading in the feff.inp file.
>
> yes. I am able to do it and able to run fits with Artemis no problem.
> I did not realize that Artemis could export feff.inp files to pdb. I
> tried to: after reading in a feff.inp file, I follow FEFF -> write
> special output -> pdb, but I get the error message "You did not
> specify any lattice constant" which of course it is not necessary
> neither for a feff.inp file nor for a pdb file. So I am stuck.

Stefano,

You seem to be misunderstanding what functions the various different files
play in my software.

The purpose of Atoms is to convert crystallographic data into a list of atomic
coordinates.  Usually this list is in the form of a feff.inp file.
Occassionally one might wish to output a file of a different format.  In any
case a feff.inp file is always the output and never the input.

Atoms is built into Artemis and serves the EXACT SAME PURPOSE in that context.

I have never written a piece of software that converts a feff.inp file into
some other kind of list of atoms nor is it my intention that any of my
documentation suggest otherwise.  That said, I acknowledge that converting a
feff.inp file to a pdb file, although less useful in general than the other
way around, would indeed be a nice thing to have.

Finally, you underscore another little problem.  Atoms (both in the guise of
TkAtoms and of Artemis) should fail more gracefully when you choose to import
an atoms.inp file and instead select a feff.inp file.  I am not sure of a
100% reliable way to handle that problem gracefully, but I will certainly
think about it.

 Bruce Ravel  ----------------------------------- ravel at phys.washington.edu
 Code 6134, Building 3, Room 222
 Naval Research Laboratory                          phone: (1) 202 767 2268
 Washington DC 20375, USA                             fax: (1) 202 767 4642

 Beamlines X11a, X11b, X23b
 National Synchrotron Light Source