[Ifeffit] status of self-absorption corrections

mauro at rulp.org mauro at rulp.org
Tue May 11 05:02:26 CDT 2004

On Fri, Apr 30, 2004 at 11:39:52AM -0500, Matt Newville wrote:
> Hi Mauro,
>
> I'd prefer to have a single procedure that could correct both XANES
> and EXAFS, and took into account sample thickness, incident angle
> and the range of exit angles as separate parameters.  It seems that
> enough people have published partial solutions that it could be done
> 'right'.  I was hoping someone would come up with something more
> definitive.  It seems like a good project for a student.

Matt, you are right, it's a good project for a student, but my thesis is
already focused on another topic. :(

On the other hand, I have tried (in the order)

- Peter Pfalzer "SelfAbs" (java code)
- Corwin Booth "sabcor" (fortran code)
- Sam Webb "SixPack" (official distribution)

Noone of these codes worked fine for me. I suppose for two reasons:

1. sample = multilayer
2. experimental setup = standing wave field induced

I say this because I have top-down approached the selfabsorption problem,
that is simultating the selfaborption starting from an ideal sample.

> For what it's worth, if you're using a Ge detector, the deadtime
> corrections might also be important.

Yes, this is a further step.

Thanks a lot,
Mauro

--
  Mauro Rovezzi <mauro at rulp.org> - Physics student
  University of Rome "Tor Vergata", ESRF Beamline BM8 - GILDA