[Ifeffit] [HOWTO] converting experimental mu(E) in cm^-1

mauro at rulp.org mauro at rulp.org
Tue May 11 04:38:37 CDT 2004

On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 09:17:52PM -0500, Matt Newville wrote:
> Dead Mauro,

Sorry for the delay in my answer (studying...)

> > I would like your opinion on the procedure to convert the experimental
> > mu_exp(E) in arbitrary units (counts) to mu(E) in cm^-1.
>
> Why you want mu in cm^-1?  This is not necessarily easy to get from
> an XAFS measurement.

I'm dealing with the selfabsorption correction in Mo/Si multilayers with
standing-wave-assisted EXAFS. In the fluorescence formula I have to multiply
mu(E) for the thickness of the sample to obtain a pure number, so I need
(cm^-1)*(cm).

Mauro

--
  Mauro Rovezzi <mauro at rulp.org> - Physics student
  University of Rome "Tor Vergata", ESRF Beamline BM8 - GILDA