[Ifeffit] Question about the R_factor in artemis/ifeffit

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Sun May 2 22:21:46 CDT 2004

Hi Wayne,

The R-factor is being calculated with both the real and imaginary
parts.  If you're looking at the source code, the R-factor is
calculated in fitfun.f (in src/lib).  There, the sum is over the
elements of the arrays thifit and chifit.  For R-space fits, thifit
contain alternating real,imaginary elements of Delta chi(R)
(theory-data) within the fit range and chifit contains alternating
real, imaginary elements of chi(R) for the data.  For k-space fits,
thifit contain the elements of the k-weighted Delta chi(k)
(theory-data)  and chifit contais k-weighted chi(k) for the data.

But I also believe that it doesn't matter much, and that due to the
nature of doing FT for a purely real function, an R-value calculated
for the Real part only should be equal to one calculated for the
Imaginary part only and should be very close to the total R-factor.

Hope that helps,

--Matt