[Ifeffit] Athena quirk

Bruce Ravel ravel at phys.washington.edu
Mon Mar 15 21:42:15 CST 2004

On Monday 15 March 2004 08:27 am, Schmithals wrote:
> Hello,
>
> this seems to be the usual behaviour: on my Win2k-System the programs
> act the same.
>
> BTW: Athena does not only hold access of the last opened project file
> but also of the last data file that has been read in.
>
> Cheers,
> Gerrit
>
> Dave Baker schrieb:
> >Bruce,
> >	I have recently updated my Ifeffit package to the current versions
> > (Ifeffit 1.2.5 and Athena 0.8.026) under Win2k Pro, and I have noticed
> > something that is a bit irritating.  My situation is this:  I have a
> > project open in Athena, but decide to refresh or rename that project file
> > to something different from within Windows explorer.  I expected to only
> > have to close the project file within Athena but keep Athena itself
> > running.  This is not the case, however, as Athena does not "let go" of
> > the file until it is completely closed.  After closing, I can rename the
> > project file without difficulty, but then I must restart Athena from
> > square one.  Is this normal behavior?  Does anyone else see this
> > behavior?  Thanks in advance for your help.
> >-Dave Baker

I had no idea that happened on Windows.  Completely news to me.

I can imagine a situation where not having a lock on the file could lead to
trouble.  But once the data or project file is read into Athena, the lock is
no longer necessary.  I'll look into whether it is possible to force Athena
to relinquish the lock.

Fortunately, there is a simple work-around, isn't there? ;-)

 Bruce Ravel  ----------------------------------- ravel at phys.washington.edu
 Code 6134, Building 3, Room 222
 Naval Research Laboratory                          phone: (1) 202 767 5947
 Washington DC 20375, USA                             fax: (1) 202 767 1697

 Beamlines X11a, X11b, X23b
 National Synchrotron Light Source