[Ifeffit] Bugs in new versions of Athena and Artemis

Bruce Ravel ravel at phys.washington.edu
Thu Mar 11 16:04:53 CST 2004

On Thursday 11 March 2004 04:13 pm, Scott Calvin wrote:
> Hi Bruce,
>
> At 03:48 PM 3/11/2004 -0500, you wrote:
> >On Thursday 11 March 2004 02:48 pm, Schmithals wrote:
> >> (BTW: Initially the FEFF-executable is set to feff6, it is necessary to
> >> switch to feff6l by hand).
> >
> >Has anyone else had this problem?  I thought I had writtent things
> >such that the name of the feff executable got set to "feff6" on unix
> >and "feff6l" on Windows, so I am surprised that you had this problem.
>
> My student had this problem on a Windows XP machine. We changed it by hand
> as well.

OK.  I looked into this issue and realized that I made a mistake
months ago in the configuration system that effects windows users but
not unix users.  I have fixed it, after a fashion.  I don't see a way
to fix the problem retroactively.  That is, if you have already
installed artemis on your windows computer, you will have to go to the
preferences dialog and reset the name of the Feff executable.  After
the next release, future installations of artemis will not suffer from
this problem.

Just to clarify -- if you press the "Run feff" button and feff doesn't
run or something even worse happens, you will need to configure
artemis to use the correct name of the feff executable.  You can do
this by choosing "Edit preferences" from the Settings menu, then
setting "Feff->feff_exectuable" to the correct program name.  The
version of feff6 that comes with Ifeffit is called "feff6L".  This is
the same procedure you use to run feff7 or feff8 with Artemis.

Thanks to Scott and Gerrit for making me aware of this problem.

Boy, I am so looking forward to going home today!

 Bruce Ravel  ----------------------------------- ravel at phys.washington.edu
 Code 6134, Building 3, Room 405
 Naval Research Laboratory                          phone: (1) 202 767 2268
 Washington DC 20375, USA                             fax: (1) 202 767 4642

 Beamlines X11a, X11b, X23b
 National Synchrotron Light Source