[Ifeffit] Bugs in new versions of Athena and Artemis

Schmithals schmithals at hmi.de
Thu Mar 11 07:43:09 CST 2004

Hello,

I just installed the new update so now I have Athena 0.8.026 and Artemis
0.7.001.

First I would like to say that I like the new features, particularly the
possiblity to run Atoms and FEFF within Artemis and the fact that all
files are included in one zip-file. However, I noticed some major bugs
on my Windows 2000 machine (although I do not want to exlude the
possibility of wrong handling). I attached some example files as a zip
archive.

Athena:
- I usually read in a rather large number of chi(k) data-files. It then
happens often that a few of the created groups will not be displayed:
when I mark/select such a group and press a purple/red button it might
for example plot correctly for E, R and q; but in k-space it will simply
give a message to the Echo Area ( .. plotting in k-space .. done! ) but
the resulting graph will be blank. This behaviour generally occurs when
the number of data-files is around 150 but I also observed it with less
files. I am sure that the files to import are corrupt as they behave
well when I read them in separately.
- When I close the graph window the main athena program will crash. I
remember that this behaviour has been discussed earlier.
- While loading (and saving) of projects with many data groups is
reasonably fast, closing such a project requires an extremely long time. Is
  that a normal behaviour?

Artemis:
The behaviour of Artemis on my machine makes its use almost impossible:
- Data file can not be read in:
When I read in a datafile (Data | Change data file) Athena will correcly
show up a dialog and display the data in k-space in the graph window.
Any subsequent click on k, R or q-buttons will give the error message:
"You have not yet loaded data ...". I am not be able to save the
datafile, instead an error message will occur "You cannot write the
artemis description file". I tried it with my own data (exp005_absW.chi)
and with an example file (cu010k.chi).
 If I first set up a FEFF calculation and afterwards import a data file
I am able to plot the data file in k-space but in R-space it will only
show a horizontal line. When fitting always a warning message will
appear: "There are errors in your math expressions ...". "Co Cubic
3.apj" is an example of such a file. As you can see, the folder chi_data
in the zip-file contains no data.
- Having multiple FEFF-Calculations in one file is not possible:
'Co Hexa Cubic.apj' is a project where I imported two different atoms
calculations (first hexagonal cobalt, second cubic cobalt) and ran FEFF.
But only the second calculation can be displayed. And when looking at
the project file there exists only one FEFF-calculation despite two
trees in the Artemis program. It seems as if the first calculation has
been overwritten.
- Previous FEFF paths are not removed from Zip file
'Co Cubic 1.apj' is a project where I first set the cluster size to 8
and then ran Atoms and FEFF and imported all paths. I then set the
cluster size to 4 and did the procedure again. The second time the same
number of paths will be imported as in the first case although there
should only exist a fraction of them. This problem can only be solved by
deleting first all paths in the zip-file manually (which I do using a
zip-program) and then run FEFF again.
- Making 'Sum of paths (no fit)' produces no output (when no data file
is loaded).
In 'Co Cubic 2.apj' I set up an Atoms page and ran the FEFF calculation.
When choosing 'Sum of paths (no fit)' | all paths from the menu it will
indicate a correct calculation but when trying to plot the fit it will fail.

I wonder if the described behaviour depends on Windows or on my
particular computer. I tried a completely new installation which did not
improve the situation.

After complaining so much I would still like to propose a new feature:
after processing data with Athena I export the chi(R)/chi(q) data to use
it in a data analysis program with enhanced graphing capabilities. I
would really appreciate if the used parameters would be written at the
beginning of the exported datafile as it is quite difficult to keep
track of all these options.

I hope my remarks are helpful.

Regards,
Gerrit