[Ifeffit] Re: problems with the new version

Peter Southon psou7817 at mail.usyd.edu.au
Wed Mar 10 05:07:07 CST 2004

Hello Matt,

I'm having similar problems with the updater as those described a few days
ago, but the fix that you posted didn't work for me. I've copied in the
new .ini file (which I figure just re-sets the date stamp). This pursuades the
updater to run, but after processing for a few seconds (and I'm sure it does
send an internet message) it flashes up a TK screen for a split second then
closes/crashes, then the main program runs. I can't figure out how to extract
an error message from the updater.

This is a new installation - putting ifeffit onto my home computer (WinXP),
using an old-ish install file from cd (ifeffit 1.2.4) and updater 1.1. I'm
rather avioding downloading anything that I don't have to as my connection
here is rather slow...

Hope you can help!!

Cheers,
Peter

> Hi Bruce, Giuliana,
>
> There have been a couple other reports like this, but they always
> seem to go away eventually. I doubt the firewall is an issue (if you
> can download a zip file from a web page on your computer, the
> updater will work.. if you can't download a zip file, the updater
> should let you know this).
>
> I've just added a FAQ entry about this:
>
> http://cars9.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/ifeffit/faqwiz?req=show&file=faq02.008.htp
>
> The upshot is that I'd suggest replacing the file
>   C:\Program Files\Ifeffit\updates\updater.ini
>
> with
>   http://cars9.uchicago.edu/ifeffit/updates/updater.ini
>
> and editing (notepad,wordpad,...) and the file
>   C:\Program Files\Ifeffit\updates\updater.dat
>
> to read '005'. (Just three numbers, on one line).  Then, re-running
> athena, artemis, etc should immediately tell you that there are
> updates available, and download and install them. If you have
> problems, please note whether
>    a) ifup_006.zip gets downloaded (the progress bar in the
>       lower right corner of the updater GUI should shows the
>       download progress).
>    b) whether the main GUI panel lists any files being unpacked.
>
> Hope that helps,
>
> --Matt

Peter Southon
Research Fellow