[Ifeffit] Re: problems with the new version

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Fri Mar 5 15:55:30 CST 2004

Hi Bruce, Giuliana,

There have been a couple other reports like this, but they always
seem to go away eventually. I doubt the firewall is an issue (if you
can download a zip file from a web page on your computer, the
updater will work.. if you can't download a zip file, the updater
should let you know this).

I've just added a FAQ entry about this:
  http://cars9.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/ifeffit/faqwiz?req=show&file=faq02.008.htp

The upshot is that I'd suggest replacing the file
  C:\Program Files\Ifeffit\updates\updater.ini
with
  http://cars9.uchicago.edu/ifeffit/updates/updater.ini

and editing (notepad,wordpad,...) and the file
  C:\Program Files\Ifeffit\updates\updater.dat

to read '005'. (Just three numbers, on one line).  Then, re-running
athena, artemis, etc should immediately tell you that there are
updates available, and download and install them. If you have
problems, please note whether
   a) ifup_006.zip gets downloaded (the progress bar in the
      lower right corner of the updater GUI should shows the
      download progress).
   b) whether the main GUI panel lists any files being unpacked.

Hope that helps,