[Ifeffit] Re: Artemis download

Bruce Ravel ravel at phys.washington.edu
Wed Jun 30 13:12:23 CDT 2004

On Wednesday 30 June 2004 01:39 pm, Sen, Sabyasachi wrote:
> Bruce, I was one of the participants of this year's EXAFS short
> course at BNL last week. It was a great course and I have learnt a
> lot about the latest of what's happening in the field. I am having
> trouble downloading the correct version of Artemis from the website.
> I have downloaded Ifeffit 1.2.5a.exe from the website (I have
> Windows 2000) and when I am trying to open Artemis it opens the 0.6
> version instead of the latest 0.7 version.  Could you please point
> out what I might be doing wrong and what's the best way to download
> the suite of EXAFS softwares? Many thanks in advance.

Sabyasachi,

First off, let me repeat one thing that was said during the course:
These questions are best directed to the mailing list.  Helping new
users solve installation problems is among the many purposes of the
list.  By asking a question of the list rather than of me directly,
you get to tap into a much larger pool of knowledge.  As you can see,
I have forwarded this email to the list.

The mailing list isn't the only splendid source of information
available to the Ifeffit newbie.  We also have a Frequently Asked
Questions page at
  http://cars9.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/ifeffit/faqwiz
The FAQ is great -- it contains tons of useful information and it's a
wiki.  That means that anyone in the Ifeffit community can share
knowledge by authoring or editing a FAQ entry.  Pretty cool!

There are FAQ entries that discusses the Windows installer and updater
at great length:
  http://cars9.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/ifeffit/faqwiz?req=all#2.4
  http://cars9.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/ifeffit/faqwiz?req=all#2.8
If that does not help you solve your problem, post a question to the
list and I am sure that one of the Windows experts who reads the list
will be happy to help you out.

 Bruce Ravel  ----------------------------------- ravel at phys.washington.edu
 Code 6134, Building 3, Room 405
 Naval Research Laboratory                          phone: (1) 202 767 2268
 Washington DC 20375, USA                             fax: (1) 202 767 4642

 Beamlines X11a, X11b, X23b
 National Synchrotron Light Source