[Ifeffit] Re: A very quick question

Scott Calvin SCalvin at slc.edu
Sat Jun 19 17:40:59 CDT 2004

>That's a very nice explanation of the utility of restraints.  I
>suspect that many out there in mailing-list-land will appreciate your
>comments quite a bit.
>
>Perhaps you could discuss more explicitly on how the error bar guides
>your choice of weight, maybe even with an example...

Thanks, Bruce.

In case people aren't familiar with restraints, here's a brief
paragraph on how they work:

Ifeffit determines the "best" fit by minimizing chi-square which is
given by the sum of the squares of the misfits between fit and data
at each point as scaled by an estimated error epsilon (so that the
result is dimensionless). By default, ifeffit uses high-R noise to
estimate epsilon, but that can be overridden (this is implemented in
Artemis as well).  A "restraint" simply gives an expression which is
squared and then added to chi-square, thus giving ifeffit an
additional variable to minimize.

So one way in which I've used restraints is to fit a standard
compound in the usual way and then move on to a related compound. The
fit for the related compound involved more unknown parameters, and
tended to yield high uncertainties. I expected certain values to be
the same (or at least very close) for the sample as compared to the
standard: S02 and E0 for example. But I was not comfortable simply
setting the values for the sample equal to the fit from the standard,
both because the fit has an uncertainty associated with it and
because there could be small differences with, e.g., normalization,
and I'd like to let ifeffit evaluate uncertainties for the sample
parameters. So I used restraints with the uncertainty in the
standard's parameter as the epsilon for the restraint. For example,
in one case the fit of the standard yielded an E0 of 3.66 +/- 1.04
eV. I therefore used the following in the sample's fit:

guess E0 = 3.66
resE0 = (E0 - 3.66)/1.04

One problem with this scheme is that it makes the estimate of epsilon
for the data quite important. One of the beamlines I use used to have
high-frequency oscillations in the signal which made the ifeffit
method of estimating epsilon a poor choice. But it's probably a good
idea to think about the epsilon generated by ifeffit anyway, and it's
crucial to do so for multi-edge fits. In any case, it seems to me
that the restraint method I described here maintains the proper
statistical meaning of chi-square, with the difficulty being where it
always was; i.e. in estimating the epsilon for the data.

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College