[Ifeffit] two comments

Bruce Ravel ravel at phys.washington.edu
Sat Jun 19 15:17:24 CDT 2004

Hi!

Just now I was reading through some of the mail I missed while away at
a conference and I have a few general comments.

1.  Doug Pease had some problems with Artemis being bigger than the
    size of his screen.  This is a problem I am aware of, but haven't
    got around to fixing.  All my GUI codes are written assuming that
    your screen is at least 1024x768.  They just don't display
    properly at lower resolution.  Similarly, there is an option under
    Windows XP for using fonts larger than normal for the specified
    resolution.  That is, you can set resoution at 1024x768 but have
    windows use scaled up fonts such that, say, a 10pt font would
    display as if the resolution were 800x600.  This feature is nice
    those with untrustworthy eyes, but my GUI codes play poorly with
    this.

    Bottom line: to use my codes you need to set your resolution to
    1024x768 or higher and not use the scaled up fonts.

    My apologies to anyone stuck with weak eyes or a old monitor.

2.  Lots of people have complained trap files being written to a place
    that includes this string: __ENV__IFEFFIT_DIR.  Although people
    reported several different situations, everytime you see that
    string, it is the same bug.  I am aware of this bug and I think I
    have fixed it.  I am going to try to get a new version out
    sometime during the week of June 27th.

3.  Peter Southon made a very clever suggestion one day which I would
    like to modify just slightly.  Make a desktop shortcut to
       C:/Program Files/Ifeffit/horae/stash/
    This will allow you to quickly find trap files written by Athena
    and Artemis and also to very quickly find Artemis' workspace.

Ta ta,

 Bruce Ravel  ----------------------------------- ravel at phys.washington.edu
 Code 6134, Building 3, Room 405
 Naval Research Laboratory                          phone: (1) 202 767 2268
 Washington DC 20375, USA                             fax: (1) 202 767 4642

 Beamlines X11a, X11b, X23b
 National Synchrotron Light Source