[Ifeffit] Iffeffit1.5.2a compilation troubles

Stefano Ciurli stefano.ciurli at unibo.it
Tue Jun 15 06:15:37 CDT 2004

Hello folks,
I think I have to respond to some of the questions regarding the
installation protocol I followed to install the programs on my G4:

The protocol is the following:

0. install fink and fink's g77 and wget.

COMMENT: I have a fink up-to-date and installed wget using "fink install wget"

1. install the Ifeffit binary from ifeffit-1.2.5a_Mac10.3.dmg.
    This step is to install PGPLOT correctly: the problem in
    question is not with PGPLOT.

COMMENT: I downloaded the ifeffit-1.2.5a installer and ran the
packaged installer; no problem.

2. install Perl/Tk from source:
    2.1 download Tk-804.027.tar.gz from a CPAN site
        ~> wget http://www.cpan.org/modules/by-authors/id/NI-S/Tk-804.027.tar.gz
    2.2 unpack Tk-804.027
        ~> tar xvzf Tk-804.027.tar.gz
    2.3 change line 2809 of pTk/mTk/tixGeneric/tixHList.c  from
         '#if 0'
         '#if 1'
    2.4 build Perl/Tk:
        ~>perl Makefile.PL ; make
    2.5 install Perl/Tk
        ~>sudo make install

COMMENT: I followed exactly Matt's instructions as follows:

     ~> mkdir MyTemp
     ~> cd MyTemp
     ~> wget http://www.cpan.org/modules/by-authors/id/NI-S/Tk-804.027.tar.gz
     ~> tar xvzf Tk-804.027.tar.gz
     ~> cd Tk-804.027
     ~> ### change  pTk/mTk/tixGeneric/tixHList.c  as earlier instructions
     ~> perl Makefile.PL ; make
     ~> sudo make install

then:

3. install ifeffit from source:
    3.1 download:
        ~>wget http://cars9.uchicago.edu/ifeffit/src/ifeffit-1.2.5.tar.gz
    3.2 unpack:
        ~>tar xvzf ifeffit-1.2.5.tar.gz
    3.3 configure
        ~>./configure --prefix=/Applications/Ifeffit
    3.4 build
        ~> make
    3.5 install
        ~> sudo make install

COMMENT: It is not clear to me the difference between 1.2.5a and
1.2.5: it seems odd to me to first install a more advanced version of
ifeffit (1.2.5a) and then install the older version (1.2.5). But I
did so as instructed. Any explanation to this?

4. install horae
    4.1 set up to use ifeffit:
        ~>source /Applications/Ifeffit/bin/iff_init.csh
    4.2 install horae
        ~>horae_update --force

COMMENT: At the end of this procedure I find myself with horae-033! I
have to do horae_update again to go to horae-066...

>I was trying to compile ifeffit 1.2.5a again on top of Matt's
>installer based pgplot and I am having some trouble.  I have fink
>installed and hence another pgplot.  In order not to use my fink
>pgplot, it is necessary to use the configure options:
>  ./configure --prefix=/Applications/Ifeffit
>--with-pgplot=/Applications/Ifeffit/lib
>--with-pgplot-link=/Applications/Ifeffit/lib/libpgplot_iff.a

COMMENT to Paul: I guess I also have pgplot from fink installed (I
simply ran the fink installation once, updating it from time to time.
Now, as said above, it is up-to-date.

>with this set of options the compile proceeds smoothly until it
>reaches the src/test directory upon which there are a lot of linking
>errors (shown below).  Any advice Matt?

I do not see this message. Oh my, this is the first time that
something works for me and does not for others! :-))

I checked: under the /sw/Applications directory, I have only one
file, named AquaTerm.app. Consider that I also have an aquaterm
application under the /Applications directory. I am not sure which of
these two applications the program points to.

Does this tell anything to anyone to explain the strange behavior I
see or the differences between my installation and others'?

Matt then said to Paul:

The fix is to replace ifeffit-1.2.5/iconf_pgplot with the version
below.  The distributed version of ifeffit-1.2.5.tar.gz is from
February, and its iconf_pgplot looks under /sw for pgplot.  The
newer one (from April) looks under /Applications/Ifeffit.  You can
test it by simply typing (in the ifeffit-1.2.5 directory):
    ~>sh iconf_pgplot

COMMENT: Under /sw I do not have any ifeffit-1.2.5 directory! So I
cannot run this command. Does anyone know why? Also, I do not know
what to do with the iconf_pgplot text that Matt provided....

which should report something very close to
   -L/Applications/Ifeffit/pgplot -L/Applications/Ifeffit/lib
   -lpgplot_iff -lpng_iff -lz_iff -laquaterm -L/sw/lib -lg2c
   -L/usr/lib -lgcc  -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lX11 -laquaterm
   -Wl,-framework -Wl,Foundation

At that point, './configure; make' ought to work.

Of course -- how could the Feb source kit possibly know about the
Aquaterm changes made in April??  This means the way I described
building from source to Stefano probably cannot work, and may be
related to some of his troubles -- but how did he get it to
compile is a bit of a mystery to me.  I'm confused by this, as the
instructions I gave Stefano should have not worked.  For the
record, the binary installer should work fine too.  Is there
evidence that it doesn't?

If you, Matt, refer to the installer found in the disk image (.dmg),
yes, it runs smoothly. What it does exaclt, well, too difficult for
me.

Stefano

Stefano Ciurli
Professor of Chemistry
Department of Agro-Environmental Science and Technology
University of Bologna
Viale Giuseppe Fanin, 40
I-40127 Bologna
Italy