[Ifeffit] Re: Aquaterm (was Artemis: Error in laoding additional FEFF paths?)

Paul Fons paul-fons at aist.go.jp
Mon Jun 14 22:46:47 CDT 2004

If the aquaterm library support is included in the pgplot distribution
that the installer "installs" then perhaps changing the environment
variable to specify /aqt as the pgplot device will cause pgplot to
attempt to route graphics to aquaterm (hence aquaterm did not start
automatically).  I am still confused why Stefano did not get a bunch of
linking errors though... I must say though that I really do not
understand the dynamic library business -- could it be that the system
just looked for the unlinked references at runtime in the Ifeffit/lib
directory (as it is on the dynamic library path?).  This is something I
*would* like to understand...

On Jun 15, 2004, at 12:17 PM, Matt Newville wrote:

> Stefano,
>
>> 2) I do not have the ZnO tutorial files. Any one has ideas about why?
>> Have they been removed from the package because they were giving
>> problems?
>
> This is at Bruce's pages for artemis, under 'contributions'.
>
>> I now have a running set of programs, for which I thank the people
>> who responded to my calls for help. The only anomalous behavior
>> concerns two items:
>
> Given Paul's message, I'm now confused.  Did ifeffit-1.2.5 build
> for you? Related to that, what was the evidence that the binary
> installer failed?
>
>> 1) After an initial run in which aquaterm started smoothly by
>> plotting data from athena or artemis (i do not remember which one),
>> right now for unknown reasons I need to start aquaterm before it
>> receives orders from athena or artemis to plot data. That is,
>> aquaterm needs to be opened first for things to go smoothly. And I do
>> not know why
>
> I don't see this behavior and have never had to start Aquaterm
> explicitly.  I can run multiple Ifeffit apps, each getting a
> different plot window and can close any of the plot windows:
> subsequent plots will create a new plot window as needed. I cannot
> close the Aquaterm App while running, as subsequent plots cause
> crashes of the calling app (this is not unique to Ifeffit. Gnuplot
> also crashes when Aquaterm is closed).  But this does not happen
> normally anyway: once started, Aquaterm stays running for me even
> after exiting all apps using it.
>
> I suspect you still have a build problem related to the
> iconf_pgplot script.  For what it's worth Aquaterm is the default
> plotting device with ifeffit-1.2.5a-Mac10.3, but the X11 device
> can also be used.
>
> --Matt

Dr. Paul Fons
Senior Researcher
National Institute for Advanced Industrial Science & Technology
METI
Center for Applied Near-Field Optics Research (CANFOR)
AIST Central 4, Higashi 1-1-1
Tsukuba, Ibaraki JAPAN 305-8568

tel. +81-298-61-5636
fax. +81-298-61-2939