[Ifeffit] Artemis: Error in laoding additional FEFF paths?

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Sun Jun 13 21:38:52 CDT 2004

Hi Stefano,

Sorry for the incomplete instructions and not emphasizing some of the
important points of the Unix shell.  I believe Paul answered most of this,
and it seems like you've either got it working or are close, but I'll
answer anyway:

> >2. install Perl/Tk from source:
> >    2.1 download Tk-804.027.tar.gz from a CPAN site
> >        ~> wget http://www.cpan.org/modules/by-authors/id/NI-S/Tk-804.027.tar.gz
>
> QUESTION: is there a directory where I should download the file and
> then follow up with the subsequent instructions?

No, it doesn't matter.  Using a temporary directory that you later delete
would be fine:
    ~> mkdir MyTemp
    ~> cd MyTemp
    ~> wget http://www.cpan.org/modules/by-authors/id/NI-S/Tk-804.027.tar.gz
    ~> tar xvzf Tk-804.027.tar.gz
    ~> cd Tk-804.027
    ~> ### change  pTk/mTk/tixGeneric/tixHList.c  as earlier instructions
    ~> perl Makefile.PL ; make
    ~> sudo make install

    ~> cd..
    ~> wget http://cars9.uchicago.edu/ifeffit/src/ifeffit-1.2.5.tar.gz
    ~> tar xvzf ifeffit-1.2.5.tar.gz
    ~> cd ifeffit-1.2.5
    ~> ./configure --prefix=/Applications/Ifeffit      ## NOTE leading './' !!!
    ~> make
    ~> sudo make install
    ~> . /Applications/Ifeffit/bin/iff_init.sh         ## NOTE leading '.'  for bash
    ~> source /Applications/Ifeffit/bin/iff_init.csh
    ~> horae_update --force
    ~> cd ..

At this point, you can delete the MyTemp whole folder it.  Or you
could keep the *.tar.gz files in case anything goes wrong (never!)
and just delete the Tk-804.027 and ifeffit-1.2.5 folders.

> another QUESTION: are there any files I should delete and from which
> directory before doing the whole thing from scratch?

No, everything should be overwritten as needed.

> Aquaterm and 1.2.5??

With ifeffit-1.2.5a for Mac OS X, the Aquaterm plotting should work 'out of
the box'.  The Aquaterm device is now the default device as it has several
advantages over the X11 device.

> Also: Is the question related to which Tk/perl version I should have
> installed still valid? It is not clear, from your web page, whether
> the comments for the Linux installation are also related to the OSX.

To be honest, I'm not sure.  I think we might have to wait for Bruce on
this one. As far as I understand it, some of the artemis bugs were related
to the Perl/Tk versions and to the tixHList bug, but I'm not sure all of
them were.

Hope that helps,