[Ifeffit] Artemis: Error in laoding additional FEFF paths?

Paul Fons paul-fons at aist.go.jp
Sun Jun 13 19:34:15 CDT 2004

Sorry to be late in replying.  Here are some answers (Matt can confirm).
On Jun 14, 2004, at 7:39 AM, Stefano Ciurli wrote:

> Hi Matt and thanks for your message. I have a couple of addiitonal
> questions:
>
>> 0. install fink and fink's g77 and wget.
>
> done, using fink install wget; OK
>
>> 1. install the Ifeffit binary from ifeffit-1.2.5a_Mac10.3.dmg.
>>    This step is to install PGPLOT correctly: the problem in
>>    question is not with PGPLOT.
>
> done. OK.
>
>> 2. install Perl/Tk from source:    2.1 download Tk-804.027.tar.gz
>> from a CPAN site
>>        ~> wget
>> http://www.cpan.org/modules/by-authors/id/NI-S/Tk-804.027.tar.gz
>
> QUESTION: is there a directory where I should download the file and
> then follow up with the subsequent instructions?

You can download Tk to whatever directory you like to.  Once you have
the source, just type
perl Makefile.PL (it configures itself)
make (it builds a binary)
sudo make install (it installs perl/Tk into the current perl directory
tree)

>>    2.2 unpack Tk-804.027
>>        ~> tar xvzf Tk-804.027.tar.gz
>>    2.3 change line 2809 of pTk/mTk/tixGeneric/tixHList.c  from
>>         '#if 0'
>>         '#if 1'
>>    2.4 build Perl/Tk:
>>        ~>perl Makefile.PL ; make
>>    2.5 install Perl/Tk
>>        ~>sudo make install
>>
>> 3. install ifeffit from source:
>>    3.1 download:
>>        ~>wget
>> http://cars9.uchicago.edu/ifeffit/src/ifeffit-1.2.5.tar.gz
>
> QUESTION: : is there a directory where I should download the file and
> then follow up with the subsequent instructions?
>
>>    3.2 unpack:
>>        ~>tar xvzf ifeffit-1.2.5.tar.gz
>>    3.3 configure
>>        ~>./configure --prefix=/Applications/Ifeffit
>
> QUESTION: I do not seem to have, in tcsh, the command "configure"

"./configure" is a shell script (from the gnu project) that exists in
the source directory.  It is not a preinstalled command.  It checks
what resources (libraries etc.) are available on the the machine a
given source is being compiled upon and makes a configuration script
that compensates for compiler/library/other differences.  As such it is
in principle different for every package.

>>    3.4 build
>>        ~> make
>>    3.5 install
>>        ~> sudo make install
>>
>> 4. install horae
>>    4.1 set up to use ifeffit:
>>        ~>. /Applications/Ifeffit/bin/iff_init.sh        if you're
>> using bash and
>>        ~>source /Applications/Ifeffit/bin/iff_init.csh        if
>> you're using csh or tcsh (if you don't know
>>        which shell you're using, try both and whichever
>>        complains is the wrong one!)
>>    4.2 install horae
>>        ~>horae_update --force

I had some trouble doing this earlier (with Tk) in that some objects
were undefined.  The reason I tried the installer was that from 034 (I
think) the linking of horae was changed sometime around then and it
looked like it was going to take a while to figure it out (and I had
data to analyze).  I think I did try once installing my own Tk (with
horae 035), but experienced linking errors which made me give up.  I
now realize that if things stop working, there is nothing to debug
unless you build everything from source again like I was doing.  I
think I will give it a try again too so I will pay attention to the
discussion.  I think I understand everything in principle, but I would
like to build the pgplot library myself (as this is the only bit I have
not built from source on my machine and this may have been the source
of the linking problems I was experiencing earlier.

Regarding some of the most recent problems with the stability of
artemis--
  I am still a little confused by some of Bruce's comments (and on the
other hand a little optimistic) -- he said that he understood the cause
of some of the recent errors being reported (due to recent Tk library
incompatibilities) and would fix them when he had time.  The thing I
don't understand is that I had been using the latest Tk libraries for
about a year without the sort of trouble that people are experiencing
(well, there were some errors, but I was fitting data without worrying
too much about artemis).  I thought things might have stabilized (due
the efforts of Matt in making a compile subsystem for the Mac).

> QUESTION: Is there a directory where I should download the file and
> then follow up with the subsequent instructions?
>
> The directories location may be crucial, as well as the solution to
> the configure command.
>
> another QUESTION: are there any files I should delete and from which
> directory before doing the whole thing from scratch?
>
> Also: Is the question related to which Tk/perl version I should have
> installed still valid? It is not clear, from your web page, whether
> the comments for the Linux installation are also related to the OSX.

The latest version of Tk (027) has been out for a couple of months now
and I was using this with horae 034 for quite a while with few
problems.  The location of the source directories is not important
(only that you have proper permissions set for them). Tk installs its
output in the perl tree where horae can find it.  The location of the
source is irrelevant. The same goes for the source of ifeffit.  The
installation order is important, however in that pgplot and ifeffit,
and Tk must be installed before horae.

> Looking forward to hearing from you.
> Stefano
> --
>
> Stefano Ciurli
> Professor of Chemistry
> Department of Agro-Environmental Science and Technology
> University of Bologna
> Viale Giuseppe Fanin, 40
> I-40127 Bologna
> Italy
> Phone:	+39-051-209-6204
> Fax:	+39-051-209-6203
>
> "Fatti non foste a viver come bruti,
> ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza"
> Dante Alighieri - Inferno - Canto XXVI

Dr. Paul Fons
Senior Researcher
National Institute for Advanced Industrial Science & Technology
METI
Center for Applied Near-Field Optics Research (CANFOR)
AIST Central 4, Higashi 1-1-1
Tsukuba, Ibaraki JAPAN 305-8568

tel. +81-298-61-5636
fax. +81-298-61-2939