[Ifeffit] Artemis: Error in loading additional FEFF paths?

Paul Fons paul-fons at aist.go.jp
Fri Jun 11 12:35:10 CDT 2004

Just to make things more mysterious, I tried the same procedure just
now on a notebook computer (running the same version of Mac OS X as on
my desktop at work) ... and had the uninitialized string problem (at
7313 in artemis).  To the best of my knowledge, the two systems are
nominally identical.  Weird.  Well at least I have something to track
down now.

					Paul

On Jun 11, 2004, at 1:43 PM, Carlo U. Segre wrote:

> Paul:
>
> Thanks for the details.
>
> I tried reverting back to previous versions until the ZnO tutorial
> "worked".  I found that version 035 freezes like version 036 but
> version
> 034 seems to work OK.
>
> However, when I looked at the echo buffer, I noticed that despite
> apparently loading the new paths without any problem, there was a
> trapped
> error.  It is a bit different than the one I get from v035 and v036
> and it
> is a warning that does not crash the program, however, it does indicate
> that something is not quite right.  Not that in the echo buffer, the
> did not seem to be in Paul's file.
>
> Finally, just to remove doubt about my Debian packages, I did a local
> install of v036 and the crash that I reported earlier still occurs
> albeit
> with a slightly different message than  the original one I reported.
> In
> this case the error happened in the "main::add_a_path" routine, just
> like
> the non-fatal error in v034 reported below whereas in my Debian package
> version, the error is in "main::read_feff".
>
> Clearly there is some inconsistency here.
>
> Carlo
>

> --------------- Echo Buffer --------------------
> Running fit (this could take a few minutes, please be patient) ...
> amp = 0.906536 +/- 0.109976
> Writing log file ...
> Running fit ... done!
> Artemis trapped a warning!  Message dumped to
> /home/segre/.horae/stash/ARTEMIS.TRAP
> Artemis trapped a warning!  Message dumped to
> /home/segre/.horae/stash/ARTEMIS.TRAP
> Adding FEFF0 ...
> "/home/segre/.horae/stash/artemis.project.0/data0.feff0/feff0025.dat"
> had
> Macintosh EOL characters and was fixed.
> Adding FEFF0 ... done!
> Artemis trapped a warning!  Message dumped to
> /home/segre/.horae/stash/ARTEMIS.TRAP
> Artemis trapped a warning!  Message dumped to
> /home/segre/.horae/stash/ARTEMIS.TRAP
> Adding FEFF0 ...
> "/home/segre/.horae/stash/artemis.project.0/data0.feff0/feff0028.dat"
> had
> Macintosh EOL characters and was fixed.
> Adding FEFF0 ... done!
>
> and
>
> ------------------ ARTEMIS.TRAP -----------------
> # Artemis 0.7.004
> # This file created at 23:11:44 on 10 June, 2004
> # using linux, perl 5.008004, Tk 800.025, and Ifeffit 1.2.5
> # Workspace: /home/segre/.horae/stash/artemis.project.0/
>

> The following message was trapped by Artemis on a SIGWARN:
>
> Artemis0.7.004warn/home/segre/.horae/stash/
> ARTEMIS.TRAPCODE(0x963f3dc)/home/segre/.horae/stash/artemis.project.0/
> at /usr/bin/artemis line 1551
>         main::__ANON__('Use of uninitialized value in string eq at
> /usr/bin/artemis l...') called at /usr/bin/artemis line 5895

> [...]

Dr. Paul Fons
Senior Researcher
National Institute for Advanced Industrial Science & Technology
METI
Center for Applied Near-Field Optics Research (CANFOR)
AIST Central 4, Higashi 1-1-1
Tsukuba, Ibaraki JAPAN 305-8568

tel. +81-298-61-5636
fax. +81-298-61-2939