[Ifeffit] Running FEFF

Paul Fons paul-fons at aist.go.jp
Thu Jun 10 23:19:29 CDT 2004

To save Bruce the trouble, I think I will reply.  First, you must
remember that the horae suite are written in perl and Tk and as such
they run in compatibility libraries under windows and this can cause
problems (and often does) so the problems may be unique to your own
setup (e.g. a clean instal may help, but I am sure others will comment
more).  Second, your message is basically noise as far as figuring out
what is going wrong, a necessary (but not necessarily sufficient!)
minimum is including enough detail to reproduce the problem.  To quote
from Bruce (I copied his old message on the same topic of bug reports:)

   1.  If I cannot reproduce your problem, I cannot solve it.
   2.  Explain to me what actions you took leading up to the problem
       you are reporting.
   3.  Send me any information, trap files are certainly a good start,
       that will help me understand what went wrong.
   4.  Send me a project file so I can see the problem happen on one of
       my computers.
   5.  If I cannot reproduce your problem, I cannot solve it.  I know I
       said that already, but it seems I cannot say it enough -- I
       still regularly get "bug reports" that are little more "It done
       got broke."

Here again is the whole story on bug reports:
    http://leonardo.phys.washington.edu/~ravel/software/exafs/bugs.html
Read the links in the "How to report bugs" box.  They're there for a
reason.

On 2004/06/11, at 11:55, Ssk0016 at aol.com wrote:

> Hello All,
>  I"m a graduate student  and trying to use Athena and Artemis for
> EXAFS analysis.I just follow the steps ,as mentioned in the manual,to
> do Cu example.this is what I did.
>  * First I opened the Chi file
>  * Then I imported the Atoms input file,and typed all the informations
> and pressed "run atoms".
>  *  It gave me Feffinput.Then I pressed "run Feff".Then the bar at the
> bottom of the screen blinked and in very short time it asked "how many
> paths I want",and I clicked the button.
>  ...It supossed to give the message screen with all the details and
> then all the paths should be displayed at "data & Paths".
>
>  But it didn't,insted the message screen was displayed with no
> messages.Also there was a warning at the bottom says "Message dumped
> to C:/program files/ifeffit/horae/stash/ARTEMIS.TRAP".
>  So i went to file menu and clicked "import feff calculations" and
> import ARTEMIS.TRAP.then in the interpretation page ,there was a
> message screen saying "couldnot find feff.inp,files.dat,paths.dat".
>
>  I don't know how to solve this problem.Can anyone help me to overcome
> this?
>  NOTE: I'm using  windows XP.
>
>  thanks
>  Poorani
>
>  '
>  i opened th_______________________________________________

Dr. Paul Fons
Senior Researcher
National Institute for Advanced Industrial Science & Technology
METI
Center for Applied Near-Field Optics Research (CANFOR)
AIST Central 4, Higashi 1-1-1
Tsukuba, Ibaraki JAPAN 305-8568

tel. +81-298-61-5636
fax. +81-298-61-2939