[Ifeffit] E0 correction in EXAFS fitting

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Wed Jun 9 13:19:22 CDT 2004

Dear Wojciech,

It seems like this question has been asked many times, possibly in
slightly different form.

Feff's choice of E0 can be off by several eV. Also, Feff is not
good at distinguishing formal oxidation state.  So believing
Feff's E0 may not be the best idea.  In my experience, Feff tends
to pick an E0 that is relatively far up the main absorption edge,
generally several eV above the maximum of the first derivative.
That's consistent with the traditional lore that says the max of
the first derivative is the Fermi level, not E0 (lowest unoccupied
orbital).

If athena/autobk pick E0 to be on a sharp pre-edge peak, you
probably want to move it.  But the best placement for E0 is not
easy to make when there is a large pre-edge peak.

One camp says that since there is absorption, then it's at E_0,
and the pre-edge peak is really the absorption edge, followed by a
large negative EXAFS 'black line' oscillation that nearly sends
mu(E) to zero. The other camp invokes localized states (either
excitons or empty molecular orbitals) to say the pre-edge peaks
are really quasi-bound transitions, but below the real continuum.
I'll try to avoid that debate.

I couldn't tell whether there was a large pre-edge peak followed
by the main absorption edge or a very large white line. If I
understand, it sounds like Feff is trying to put E0 at the
pre-edge peak... is that correct?

I'm sure that leaves unanswered questions, but I hope it helps
show the general level of confusion about E0.

--Matt

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004, it was written: