[Ifeffit] trouble with Atoms on Mac OSX

Paul Fons paul-fons at aist.go.jp
Thu Jun 3 19:37:02 CDT 2004

The default memory limit of the (cshell at least) is insufficient to
run feff.  Try rerunning the code after using the (cshell) command
unlimit.  You can check the current shell limitations with "limit -h"
(hard limits).  I don't know what the equivalent commands for bash are
but I am fairly sure there are similar limitations (to prevent naive
users from using all system resources by accident).

						Paul
On Jun 3, 2004, at 6:50 PM, Michel Jaouen wrote:

> 	Hi folks,
>
> 	I'm using a PM (2X1.8 MHz processors) under OSX v 10.3.4 (Panther
> latest version). I have installed ifeffit-1.2.5a two weeks ago and
> used Atoms many times since. It works well till yesterday when I loose
> the ability to use the space group browser with an error reported on
> the herre attached file. It looks that I have a problem with Tk, but I
> don't understand why.
> I have tried to make a new install from scratch after putting in the
> trash the ifeffit and perl (the one I assume to be put by the iffit
> installer in the home/lib folder): it didn't fix the problem. I found
> rather puzzling to find several perl folders (one coming from ifeffit
> and one from Fink). Looking my environnement, I found the following:
> PERL5LIB=/sw/lib/perl5:/sw/lib/perl5/darwin. I therefore modify my
> profile making a setenv to force to use the perl from ifeffit without
> any change. So it seems some hidden file is responsible of this
> behavior. I must say that if I enter the space group by hand, Atoms
> runs (e.g. it creates the feff.inp file).
>
> If anybody has a solution, I will appreciate.
>
> Additional point: I have compliled feff7 using the GNU g77 from Fink,
> but it stops the run with a segmentation fault. Any hint?
>
> Best regards
>
> Michel
> --
>
>  Michel Jaouen
>  Universite de Poitiers - UFR Sciences - SP2MI
>  LMP UMR 6630-CNRS
>  Boulevard Pierre et Marie Curie - Teleport 2
>  BP 30179
>  86962 Futuroscope - Chasseneuil Cedex
>   France
>  Tel : (33) 5 49 49 67 37
>  Fax : (33) 5 49 49 66 92
>  e-mail : Michel.Jaouen at univ-poitiers.fr

Dr. Paul Fons
Senior Researcher
National Institute for Advanced Industrial Science & Technology
METI
Center for Applied Near-Field Optics Research (CANFOR)
AIST Central 4, Higashi 1-1-1
Tsukuba, Ibaraki JAPAN 305-8568

tel. +81-298-61-5636
fax. +81-298-61-2939