[Ifeffit] Re: Few minor errors

Bruce Ravel ravel at phys.washington.edu
Tue Jun 1 14:59:59 CDT 2004

On Tuesday 01 June 2004 03:26 pm, sluo at slc.edu wrote:
sl> Mr. Ravel,

OK, rule #1 for the Ifeffit mailing list.  Address Bruce as "Bruce".
Mr. Ravel is Bruce's dad. ;-)

sl> The most glaring of oddities I've noticed is that c:\\program
sl> files\ifeffit doesn't exist, so there is no place for the trapped
sl> Artemis files to go (I do have a couple of them copied, but I'll

This confuses me because that location is set using the value of the
IFEFFIT_DIR variable in the batch file that launches artemis.  That
should have been set at install time.

I am not sure why that is not working correctly, but one work-around
might be to create that folder just to catch the trap files.  Another
good idea might be at least to upgrade to a later MS operating system.

sl> send another email about that later). Another is that the command
sl> lines that open with the associated programs don't close when the
sl> program closes. They'll say "finished" on the top, but the window
sl> will stay open.

I have never seen that behavior before.  Has anyone else?

Perhaps its a windows ME thing....?

sl> And in Athena, and there's unfortunately no real consistency in
sl> characterizing this error, but it'll say:
sl>
sl> Athena has caused an error in KERNEL32.dll.
sl> Athena will now close
sl> If you continue to experience problems,
sl> try restarting your computer.

I truly have no idea what that means.

Did you follow all the instructions here?
    http://cars9.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/ifeffit/faqwiz?req=show&file=faq02.007.htp

sl> Another Artemis error comes up when trying to generate the FEFF
sl> paths.  Everything will run properly, the message screen will show
sl> all the paths, but no pop-up will prompt to ask how many paths to
sl> import. There's a trap file associated with this, but I'll have to
sl> send it later. Also, when this error happens, the feff.inp page
sl> will say "no feff.inp file selected." If we re-run atoms to
sl> generate the feff.inp again, then click "run feff," there'll be
sl> another error trapped, and again, no prompt to import paths, the
sl> message box doesn't even show up this time to show the program
sl> going through the paths. Again, I have trapped warnings to gowith
sl> these, but unfortunately (and I apologize), they're on the other
sl> student's computer and he's not on the mailing list, so I'll get
sl> them to you as soon as I can.

I am going to need more information.

Are you sure the dialog for selecting the number of paths isn't hidden
for some reason under the main window?

I guess my big question is whether any of this behavior is reproduced
on windows machines that are not windows ME.  I am not too excited
about working hard to make sure that WinME support is perfect.  WinME
was a pretty crappy operating system.

 Bruce Ravel  ----------------------------------- ravel at phys.washington.edu
 Code 6134, Building 3, Room 405
 Naval Research Laboratory                          phone: (1) 202 767 2268
 Washington DC 20375, USA                             fax: (1) 202 767 4642

 Beamlines X11a, X11b, X23b
 National Synchrotron Light Source