[Ifeffit] Few minor errors

sluo at slc.edu sluo at slc.edu
Tue Jun 1 14:26:46 CDT 2004

Mr. Ravel,

I'm right now helping a fellow student get started using Athena and Artemis
for EXAFS analysis, and we've ran into more than a few problems. He's
running on Windows ME (using the latest versions of the software), so I
don't know if there are any known bugs associated with that operating
system.

The most glaring of oddities I've noticed is that c:\\program files\ifeffit
doesn't exist, so there is no place for the trapped Artemis files to go (I
do have a couple of them copied, but I'll send another email about that
later). Another is that the command lines that open with the associated
programs don't close when the program closes. They'll say "finished" on the
top, but the window will stay open.

And in Athena, and there's unfortunately no real consistency in
characterizing this error, but it'll say:

Athena has caused an error in KERNEL32.dll.
Athena will now close
If you continue to experience problems,
try restarting your computer.

The first time this happened, we had the Emin for the pre-edge line set
to -500. It happened a couple of times when we set this Emin, but then
didn't anymore. Next it happened when we opened the same project file.
There's no trap file unfortunately to be associated with this error.

Another Artemis error comes up when trying to generate the FEFF paths.
Everything will run properly, the message screen will show all the paths,
but no pop-up will prompt to ask how many paths to import. There's a trap
file associated with this, but I'll have to send it later. Also, when this
error happens, the feff.inp page will say "no feff.inp file selected." If we
re-run atoms to generate the feff.inp again, then click "run feff," there'll
be another error trapped, and again, no prompt to import paths, the message
box doesn't even show up this time to show the program going through the
paths. Again, I have trapped warnings to go with these, but unfortunately
(and I apologize), they're on the other student's computer and he's not on
the mailing list, so I'll get them to you as soon as I can.

Thanks very much though for the newest versions. They're running fine on my
computer, despite the log error, but that doesn't affect the fits.

- Sean