[Ifeffit] artemis development in the near future

SCHLEGEL Michel 177447 schlegel at azurite.cea.fr
Thu Jul 29 06:48:00 CDT 2004

Bruce,

> On Wednesday 28 July 2004 12:47 pm, SCHLEGEL Michel 177447 wrote:
> > versions of Athena and Artemis as script, or if you will ask each and
> > every Windows user to compile his/her own little executable. In the
> > later case, You'll have to explain me.
>
> Well, the point I was trying to make was that building and testing
> windows executables adds considerably to my work.  I would like to be
> able to release the development version frequently -- the
> early-and-often approach to software development.  If I have to build
> windows exes everytime, that will slow me down, wear me out, and make
> it not worth my time to bother with the whole idea of a fork.

Yes, I now, we Windows user recriminate a lot, demand even more,
and offer little in return.. ;-)

> > Othervise, the new version runs fabulously great, apart from a minor
point:
> > I can't fit simultaneously several spectra (polarization data) in
q-space.
> > TApparently Artemis traps some kind of error message. but the software
> > keeps on running.
>
> OK, thanks for the report.  I'll look into it.  q-space fitting is not
> one of the well-tested corners of the code since I never do
> that myself.

I am aware of Matt's recommandation - that fitting in R-space should be
preferred. However, there are sometimes informations in the q-space
on the nature of backscatterers from, e.g., the shape of the amplitude
enveloppe of the Fourier-filtered contribution. Plus, it is always
interesting
to compare fitting results in both spaces.

I ran a test fit in q-space with four spectra and Artemis 0.7.008.
It seems that the fitting stage is performed well, and the fitting
results in the q-space are even displayed in the Graphics windows.
Trouble seems to arise when Artemis tries to write the log file.
The 'Artemis palettes' windows doesn't appear on the screen.

I then tried to fit into R-space (worked well), and again into q-space:
the same error message appeared.

I copied the message displayed on the console into the attached file.

Best regards,

Michel Schlegel