[Ifeffit] athena 0.8.030, artemis 0.7.008, hephaestus 0.04

Bruce Ravel ravel at phys.washington.edu
Wed Jul 28 12:19:43 CDT 2004

On Wednesday 28 July 2004 12:11 pm, Stefano Ciurli wrote:
> It is 195 Mb.... and impossible to compress. How do I send to you
> Matt and Bruce?

You don't! ;-)

Like Matt said, you should try to find a much smaller and simpler
project that shows the same behavior.

There must be something else wrong here.  I just had my computer tell
me how big each artemis project on my computer is and none of them are
bigger than a Meg.  I have trouble imagining how an artemis project
could get to be 195 Mb.

The project file is, as Paul said, simple a zipfile.  Use StuffIt or
any other zip tool tool peek inside and find out what is using up so
much diskspace.  That will probably go a long way towards identifying
the source of the problem.  It is also possible that the programming
tool I use to manage the zip files chokes on something that large -- I
don't actually know one way or the other.

The only thing I can think of that could cause an artemis project file
to grow absurdly large is if you are running HHUUGGEE feff
calculations.  It is unlikely that you have data with measurable
signal much past about 5 or 6 Angstroms.  It is therefore unnecessary
to have feff compute paths much beyond that.  If you are setting RMAX
to 10 or 12 or something like that in the feff.inp file, then you are
generating a monsterous but unnecessary number of paths.  195 meg's
worth seems unlikely, but who knows.

P.S.  Actually, I can imagine another way that a prior version of
Artemis could get to be that big.  It's obscure and not worth
explaining here, particularly since the most recent version of Artemis
does not have this problem any more.  You could install the latest
then try rebuilding the project from scratch.

 Bruce Ravel  ----------------------------------- ravel at phys.washington.edu
 Code 6134, Building 3, Room 405
 Naval Research Laboratory                          phone: (1) 202 767 2268
 Washington DC 20375, USA                             fax: (1) 202 767 4642

 Beamlines X11a, X11b, X23b
 National Synchrotron Light Source