[Ifeffit] weights data processing

Stefano Ciurli stefano.ciurli at unibo.it
Fri Jul 23 06:30:41 CDT 2004

Hi folks,

1) when removing background using athena, there is an option of using
a k-weight different than 1 (I am NOT talking about k-weight for FT).
I noticed that changing this parameter the resulting chi(k) does not
change significantly. Actually, going from 1 to 4 as a value for
k-weight for Bkgd removal, the only effect I see is a significant
reduction of the peak below the first coordination shell in chi(R)
while the other features of the spectrum are essentially the same in
terms of absolute and relative intensity. A drastic change in both
chi(k) and chi(R) is seen if I use k-weight = 5 and above. What is
the exact meaning of it? I know what the meaning is in the FT
process, but I do not see the reason why I should use a weight
different than 1 (let's say 3 for my noisy data) for background
removal. How should I behave? SHould I take the largest value of
k-weight so that the essential features of the chi(k) and chi(R) do
not change?

2) In artemis, is it a bug or a wanted feature to have the
possibility to activate more than one button for k-weight for the fit
and FT? I suppose it is a wanted feature, but then I wonder what is
the meaning of using more than one weight for the fit and FT. I am
sure some of you can unveil this enigma.

Ciao,
Stefano

Stefano Ciurli
Professor of Chemistry
Department of Agro-Environmental Science and Technology
University of Bologna
Viale Giuseppe Fanin, 40
I-40127 Bologna
Italy
Phone:	+39-051-209-6204
Fax: 	+39-051-209-6203

"Fatti non foste a viver come bruti,
ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza"
Dante Alighieri - Inferno - Canto XXVI

"Ihr seid bestimmt, nicht Tieren gleich zu leben,
Nein, Tugend zu erringen und Erkenntnis"
"Ye were not form'd to live the life of brutes,
But virtue to pursue and knowledge high"