[Ifeffit] Re: Artemis Question

Kelly, Shelly D. SKelly at anl.gov
Wed Jul 21 10:39:59 CDT 2004

Hi Scott,

Feff uses the placement of the atoms to determine the size of the muffin
tin radius and the norman radius, which define where the atom is verse
where the atom is not.  If there are no neighboring atom then these
radii become unphysically large and then the scattering amplitudes will
not be accurate.

-Copper is kinda special.  Copper has 12 neighboring atoms, so the
muffin tin radii are pretty well constrained even with one shell.  If
you run a feff calculation with all the Cu atoms in a cluster to 7
Angstroms the top of the feff0001.dat file shows the radii for the atoms
and it looks something like this:

For large cluster Rmax=7.0 Angstroms:
#Copper, Kittel, ISSP                                             Feff
7.02
# metal, fcc
# Abs   Z=29 Rmt= 1.305 Rnm= 1.454 K  shell
# Pot 1 Z=29 Rmt= 1.273 Rnm= 1.391
# Gam_ch=1.761E+00 H-L exch
# Mu=-5.472E+00 kf=1.724E+00 Vint=-1.679E+01 Rs_int= 2.104

Now do it again for N=12 and Rmax=3.0

For small cluster Rmax=3.0 Angstroms, N=12
# Copper, Kittel, ISSP                                             Feff
7.02
# metal, fcc
# Abs   Z=29 Rmt= 1.233 Rnm= 1.467 K  shell
# Pot 1 Z=29 Rmt= 1.282 Rnm= 1.570
# Gam_ch=1.761E+00 H-L exch
# Mu=-4.594E+00 kf=1.474E+00 Vint=-1.287E+01 Rs_int= 2.461

And again for N=2 and Rmax =3.0

For small cluster Rmax=3.0 Angstroms, N=2
#Copper, Kittel, ISSP                                             Feff
7.02
# metal, fcc
# Abs   Z=29 Rmt= 1.256 Rnm= 1.815 K  shell
# Pot 1 Z=29 Rmt= 1.296 Rnm= 1.872
# Gam_ch=1.761E+00 H-L exch
# Mu=-3.892E+00 kf=1.204E+00 Vint=-9.411E+00 Rs_int= 3.013

You can see that the norman radius gets really big for the last case,
1.391 to 1.570 to 1.872 and as a result the scattering amplitude
changes. I show a comparison of the chi(k)xk for each of these inputs
with a N=1.0, DE=0, SS=0, S02=1.0, DR=0 in the attached clustersize.jpg
file.

Shelly