[Ifeffit] Re: Artemis Question

Kelly, Shelly D. SKelly at anl.gov
Wed Jul 21 09:07:26 CDT 2004

Hi John,

I have a couple of comments to add to Bruce's reply:

Feff is truly amazing.  You can take a crystal structure for a Metal-oxide and apply it to a hydrated metal atom in solution with great success.   -You can also do other non-physical things to the feff list of atoms and apply it to a real problem.  There are a couple of thing to keep in mind. 1) Feff needs to have a list of atoms that extends well beyond the paths that are actually used in the fit.  Always pad the feff.inp file by at least an Angstrom.  If you are using feff calculation for the first time.  Pad the feff list by one angstrom and then by two angstroms and check that the paths that you are going to use are the same.  You do not want to use paths from the edges of the cluster that you give to feff in the feff.inp file.  -Hence you need to use a structure like a metal-oxide to model a hydrated metal.  2)  If you think that you have some unique geometry, linear multiple scattering paths then you need to be more careful to get these paths correct in the feff.inp file since they will have unique scattering amplitudes. 3) If the actually distance for the path included in the fit is different from the starting distance as given by the feff list, then you need to re-run the feff calculation.  If you are just playing around you can move the paths by 0.5 Angstroms to get an idea that the path will work.  In the final published fit, I like to see the change in the path length much less than this.

If you are looking at solutions a great place to start is with the metal and the metal-oxide.

Shelly