[Ifeffit] Chi^2 and R-factor reporting requirements

Scott Calvin SCalvin at slc.edu
Mon Jul 12 14:25:49 CDT 2004

Hi Stanislav,

I'm glad you brought this up--I'm very interested in hearing a debate
on this issue.

Here's my two cents: in principle, I think reporting a reduced chi^2
is a good idea. The problem, of course, is that a meaningful reduced
chi-square requires a meaningful estimate of the measurement error
epsilon. The default behavior of Ifeffit is to use the noise in the
high-R fourier transform (I believe it uses 15-25 Angstroms) for
epsilon. Ifeffit also allows you to override this value if you think
you have a better estimate.

In some cases, the default ifeffit estimate for epsilon is probably
fairly poor. I have used a beamline, for example, which often showed
high-R oscillations (due, perhaps, to feedback problems). These
high-R oscillations had little or no effect on the EXAFS, but, by
increasing Ifeffit's estimate of epsilon, resulted in a lower reduced
chi^2 than if I had recorded the data on another beamline!

Because of this, I ignore published reduced chi^2's that don't
include an argument as to why the epsilon they chose (or let Ifeffit
choose) is a reasonable value. I would generally prefer such reduced
chi^2's not be included in the article.

Having said that, I'd love a discussion as to how people obtain
meaningful estimates of epsilon, or under what conditions they
consider the Ifeffit default good enough.

As you noted, it is worth reiterating that the algorithm Ifeffit uses
to find uncertainties in fitted parameters is independent of the
choice of epsilon.

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Larence College