[Ifeffit] Ifeffit 1.2.6

Stefano Ciurli stefano.ciurli at unibo.it
Fri Jul 9 02:15:16 CDT 2004

Hello Bruce,

>The problem you see is most certainly an Artemis problem and not an Ifeffit
>problem.  The info in the trap file suggests to me that you have rediscovered
>one of the problems I have recently fixed.  Alas, I am at the synchrotron
>right now but I hope to get a new release out next week.

thanks a lot. You should be awarded "the most patient guy" trophy!
On my side, I try things out and try to help. When I report bugs or
non-understandeable (for me) trap files, I feel compelled to send
them out for you to screen them. So please bear with me. I am sure
you understand that I try to contribute and, of course needless to
say, not to criticize.

To say that Athena is much more reliable than Artemis is an
understatement! :-))

As soon as I have some ten minutes free today I will send the
feff.inp and the data out, as Paul suggested, so that you guys can
see if the same problem happens to you.

>I completely agree that Athena is in much better shape at the moment than is
>Artemis.  In the small amount of time that I had between a trip to Europe and
>the recent exafs course at NSLS, I made a few bug fixes to Artemis and built
>an exe for use in the course.  It behaved *much* better than the last
>release.  Still a few bugs, but much better.  Since then, I have squished a
>few more bugs still.  As I said, I'll try to get a new version out next week.

OK.

>Paul was competely correct in observing that bugs go along with new features.
>The sad truth is that all my users are also my beta testers.  I have decided
>not to add any new features to Artemis for the rest of the summer -- just bug
>fixes.  This will help me make a stable version (it should also help me get
>some papers written if I am not writing code!!).  As the current version with
>the current feature set stabilizes, I plan to fork Artemis into stable and
>development branches.  This means more work for me, but the last few months
>have been brutal for all of us as the many recent features of Artemis have
>settled.  It seems like a really good time to fork Artemis.

OK. Great!
Ciao,
Stefano

Stefano Ciurli
Professor of Chemistry
Department of Agro-Environmental Science and Technology
University of Bologna
Viale Giuseppe Fanin, 40
I-40127 Bologna
Italy
Phone:	+39-051-209-6204
Fax:	+39-051-209-6203

"Fatti non foste a viver come bruti,
ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza"
Dante Alighieri - Inferno - Canto XXVI

"Ihr seid bestimmt, nicht Tieren gleich zu leben,
Nein, Tugend zu erringen und Erkenntnis"
"Ye were not form'd to live the life of brutes,
But virtue to pursue and knowledge high"