[Ifeffit] Ifeffit 1.2.6

Bruce Ravel ravel at phys.washington.edu
Thu Jul 8 23:20:20 CDT 2004

On Thursday 08 July 2004 06:29 pm, Stefano Ciurli wrote:
> Hello Matt and thanks once again for the new version of ifeffit.
> I dowloaded the binary installer for Mac OSX and installed Ifeffit
> I read in a project file obtained earlier with 1.2.5a
> Ran a fit and obtained a plotted fit, but I got the following warning
> in the trap file. I wonder what it means... ALso, the program stucks
> with a clock in the place of the mouse cursor, not going away...
> Clearly something wrong.

Stefano,

The problem you see is most certainly an Artemis problem and not an Ifeffit
problem.  The info in the trap file suggests to me that you have rediscovered
one of the problems I have recently fixed.  Alas, I am at the synchrotron
right now but I hope to get a new release out next week.

then Paul said:

> I find in general that athena is fairly stable, but there
> are several new bugs in artemis.  I have been waiting to document them
> a little more and send off a report to Bruce, but as feff says as it
> calculates "it takes time".

Heh! ;-)

I certainly would like to see that information.

I completely agree that Athena is in much better shape at the moment than is
Artemis.  In the small amount of time that I had between a trip to Europe and
the recent exafs course at NSLS, I made a few bug fixes to Artemis and built
an exe for use in the course.  It behaved *much* better than the last
release.  Still a few bugs, but much better.  Since then, I have squished a
few more bugs still.  As I said, I'll try to get a new version out next week.

Paul was competely correct in observing that bugs go along with new features.
The sad truth is that all my users are also my beta testers.  I have decided
not to add any new features to Artemis for the rest of the summer -- just bug
fixes.  This will help me make a stable version (it should also help me get
some papers written if I am not writing code!!).  As the current version with
the current feature set stabilizes, I plan to fork Artemis into stable and
development branches.  This means more work for me, but the last few months
have been brutal for all of us as the many recent features of Artemis have
settled.  It seems like a really good time to fork Artemis.

 Bruce Ravel  ----------------------------------- ravel at phys.washington.edu
 Code 6134, Building 3, Room 222
 Naval Research Laboratory                          phone: (1) 202 767 2268
 Washington DC 20375, USA                             fax: (1) 202 767 4642

 Beamlines X11a, X11b, X23b
 National Synchrotron Light Source