[Ifeffit] Spectra for ions?

John J. Rehr jjr at leonardo.phys.washington.edu
Thu Jan 22 16:09:15 CST 2004

Dear Kristine,

 FEFF is not set up to calculate single Mn ions. However, you could
try to simulate this approximately by taking a Mn cluster, varying
the Fermi energy (which adjusts the ionicity) and plotting only
the atomic-like backgound mu_0 (col 5 in xmu.dat).

 Unfortunately, for Mn and other transition elements there are large "local field
effects," i.e., screening of the x-ray field at the L_23 edge, which cause the
L3/L2 ratio to vary. For this reason independent electron calculations
are not likely to be reliable for such transition elements.

 For details, see e.g., ``Dynamic screening effects in x-ray absorption spectra,"
A.\ L. Ankudinov A.\ I. Nesvizhskii, and J. J. Rehr, Phys. Rev. B. {\bf67},
115120 (2003).

 Also the absorption of the Mn will depend strongly on the environment.
Thus it's important to know what material the Mn is embedded in.

  Cheers,
  John Rehr