[Ifeffit] Spectra for ions?

Jeff Terry terryj at iit.edu
Thu Jan 22 15:42:01 CST 2004

Kristine,

This is a difficult thing to do. Assuming I read your question
correctly.
I believe that you are trying to calculate the XANES from a Mn2+, Mn3+,
etc, ion.

The only way that I have been able to get reasonable results is to
accurately calculate
the XANES with FEFF using a couterion in its correct position. This has
led
to some very large calculations on my part.  The ION card in FEFF is not
terribly effective which is too bad, but I understand the difficulty. I
would
almost suggest that it be removed.

I have done many calculations for Mn compounds that I have been working
on over the last couple of years and am pretty happy with the
experimental/
theoretical agreement that I have been getting, lately.

This may have been a better question for the feffusers mailing list.

Jeff Terry
IIT