[Ifeffit] Debye-Waller factors for MS paths

Peter Southon p.southon at usyd.edu.au
Tue Jan 13 17:32:15 CST 2004

Dear everyone,

One of the features of constructing models with Ifeffit is that we are
forced to think long and hard about the parameters to use for each path. In
particular I have had a great deal of difficulty in deciding how to
approach the Debye-Waller factors for with multiple scattering (MS) paths.

The ideal approach is to define the D-W factors for the MS paths in terms
of the factors for the single scattering paths. That way you add no further
variables to the model. But if you think about it you will realise that you
cannot simply add all the relevant SS factors up to get a sum for your MS
path - it all depends on the geometry, the direction of vibration,
correlation of vibrations, etc. Its all a bit tricky for those of us
dealing with intense MS paths.

So what I am asking is, does anyone know of a general method or approach to
define the Debye-Waller factors for MS paths (in terms of SS paths or
otherwise)? How do all you Ifeffiters deal with the problem? I've found a
few papers that discuss it (listed below) but they generally assume that
all vibrations are uncorrelated, which is seldom a realistic situation in
continuous solids.

Munoz-Paez, A. (2000). Inorganic Chemistry 39(17): 3784-3790.
Sakane, H. (1998). Journal of the American Chemical Society 120(40):
10397-10401.
Haskel, D. (1998). PhD thesis, University of Washington.  (appendix)
         http://www.aps.anl.gov/xfd/people/haskel/PS/thesis.ps

Is there anything out there that I've missed? I'd be particularly
interested in anything relating to continuous solids or correlated
vibrations. Comments/questions/pearls of wisdom very welcome.

Peter

Peter Southon
Research Fellow - School of Chemistry
University of Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia
+61 2 9351 4425