[Ifeffit] question about S02 (passive electron reduction factor)

Kelly, Shelly D. SKelly at anl.gov
Fri Feb 27 16:36:57 CST 2004

Yu-Chuan, Matt and all,

> >> Yu-Chuan wrote:
> >>
> >> At the beginning of the fitting, the S02(amp) are far away
> from 0.9
> >> (just about 0.3). It's much different than Bruce's and Scott's
> >> examples. [...] Also, John have said that the S02 value should be
> >> around 0.9. That's why I am wondering if there is anything
> wrong with
> >> my data processing? Does anyone happen to have this kind
> of problem?
> >

> > There are several possibilities. One is sample prep. [...] [...]
> > Another is normalization.[...] Finally, look at the correlation
> > between S02 and sigma2...if it is very high (say 0.95 or
> above) it may
> > simply be coming up with low estimates for each.
>
> Yu-Chuan didn't give details of sample prep or data
> collection, and I agree with Scott that these are most likely
> cause of low S02 factors (Scott mentioned problems with
> transmission measurements, and Grant mentioned how
> self-absorption can cause similarly low S02 factors for
> fluorescence measurements).  I also agree with Scott that
> poor normalization will affect S02, though S02~0.3 would
> indicate an edge step off by a factor of ~3, which is a
> pretty big error for normalization.  I doubt that is the culprit.
>
> But: the correlation between S02 and sigma2 is NOT the cause
> of a value for S02 being low by a factor of 3.  A high
> correlation means that a reasonably good fit could also be
> found by changing both S02 and sigma2 away from their
> best-fit value.  This is not at all the same as saying that
> either parameter has the wrong best-fit value. In fact, the
> correlation between pair of variables says nothing about the
> trustworthiness of the best-fit values, only how much the
> uncertainties in the best-fit values depend on other variables.
> And, just to be clear, the reported uncertainties already
> take these correlation into account.
>
> Yu-Chuan didn't actually say what the reported uncertainties
> in S02 were, but it seems that it was small enough so that
> S02~=0.3 could be distinguished from S02~=0.9.
>
> --Matt

The degeneracy of the paths included in the fit were not mentioned, and
could easily cause the S02 value to be off by a factor of 3.
Especially, if you forget that feff has already taken the degeneracy of
the path into account, and then you set some N-value to 2 or 3 or 4. I
have seen others make this mistake before...

Shelly