[Ifeffit] question about S02 (passive electron reduction factor)

Scott Calvin scalvin at slc.edu
Wed Feb 25 12:18:29 CST 2004

Hi Yu-Chuan,

There are several possibilities. One is sample prep. If you have an
extremely uneven sample (lots of pinholes, etc.) in transmission it can
lead to results like you're describing. Another is normalization. If you're
using Athena for background subtraction make sure you look at the pre-edge
line and post-edge curve and see that they look reasonable. Sometimes if
the background has a funny shape to it Athena can create a post-edge curve
that shoots way up at the edge energy; this could also lead to the effect
you're describing. Finally, look at the correlation between S02 and
sigma2...if it is very high (say 0.95 or above) it may simply be coming up
with low estimates for each. There are, of course, other possibilities as
well, but in my experience those are the most common.

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College

>This is Yu-Chuan. I am now trying to fit my sample, magnesium
orthovanadate.
>I try to follow Bruce's Cu example and Scott's ZnO example steps and I
found a
>problem come to my fitting. At the beginning of the fitting, the S02(amp)
are