[Ifeffit] new release of Athena and Artemis

Bruce Ravel ravel at phys.washington.edu
Mon Feb 23 08:26:36 CST 2004

Hi folks,

I am announcing the release Athena 0.8.025 and Artemis 0.7.000.  You
can now run the Windows updater or the horae_update script on your
unix machnies to install these new versions.

Complete lists of changes can be found in the change logs on my web
site.

I have increased the minor version number of Artemis because of two
significant new features.

1.  Atoms is now incorporated into Artemis and there is a simple
    wrapper around Feff built into Artemis.  You no longer need to run
    Atoms and Feff apart from Artemis.  Instead, you now do these
    chores within Artemis and allow Artemis to organize and manage all
    of the output files from Feff.  By default, Artemis assumes you
    will be using the version of feff6 that comes with Ifeffit (but
    that is configurable).

2.  Artemis project files are now zip files which contain all data and
    feff files along with the description of the fitting model.  This
    means that it is easy to share analysis projects with friends and
    to move analysis projects between computers.  The project files
    are normal zip files that can be examined with PKZip, WinZip,
    StuffIt, ark, or File Roller.

To explain these changes more fully, I have added a chapter to the
draft document for Artemis.  See chapter 5 in the PDF file at:
  http://leonardo.phys.washington.edu/~ravel/software/exafs/docs.html

Please read this new chapter as it explains the features in full
detail.

As always, let me know about any bugs, questions, or suggestions.
This is a significant new direction for Artemis, so I look forward to
hearing about the issues that will, no doubt, come up.

You can thank Adam Webb and Paul Fons for all the bugs that *aren't*
in Artemis due to their excellent feedback on the new version.

 ********* PLEASE NOTE MY NEW PHONE, FAX, & ROOM NUMBERS ******************

 Bruce Ravel  ----------------------------------- ravel at phys.washington.edu
 Code 6134, Building 3, Room 405
 Naval Research Laboratory                          phone: (1) 202 767 2268
 Washington DC 20375, USA                             fax: (1) 202 767 4642

 Beamlines X11a, X11b, X23b
 National Synchrotron Light Source