[Ifeffit] choosing k-weight

SCalvin100 at aol.com SCalvin100 at aol.com
Fri Feb 20 11:37:49 CST 2004

Peter,

Of course, the bottom line is that the k-weight shouldn't affect the values
of the parameters Ifeffit finds. If it does, it's a sign that the parameters
should not be trusted. Often, this happens when the k-range chosen to fit is
inappropriate (extends up into a range where the data is dominated by noise, down
into a range where the background is poorly chosen, or across a small edge
due to a contaminant, for example). I always test my "final" fits at all three
k-weights separately to make sure the values of the parameters stay fairly
stable.

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College