[Ifeffit] choosing k-weight

Kelly, Shelly D. SKelly at anl.gov
Fri Feb 20 10:16:39 CST 2004

> Dear Ifeffiters,
>
> I'm wondering what principles you have to determine the appropriate
> k-weight to use for FTs. Until now I've used guidelines from
> a textbook by
> Teo, based on the Z of the backscattering atoms:
> Z > 57; kw = 1
> 57 > Z > 36; kw = 2
> Z < 36; n = 3
>
> Of course you can have different backscatterers around your
> absorber - I've
> got C, N and Pt! Are there any other rules you follow?
>
> Thanks very much in advance!
>
> Peter

Hi Peter,

I have found it very useful to use all three kweights, simultaneously.
You can really cut down of the correlation between the different EXAFS
parameters by doing so.

This paper shows a model that was fit to the data with all three
kweights.
Geo. Cosmo Acta 66(22): pp 3855-3871, November 2002.

I have been thinking about putting together an Artemis project file that
shows how to do this.  If there is interest, I would be willing.

Shelly