[Ifeffit] Ifeffit updater

Bruce Ravel ravel at phys.washington.edu
Thu Feb 19 09:04:52 CST 2004

On Wednesday 18 February 2004 07:02 pm, Peter Southon wrote:
> I'm a little confused about the role of the Ifeffit updater - does it cover
> just Ifeffit, or Athena/Artemis as well?
> It has updated my Ifeffit to v1.2.5 fine, but my version of Artemis is
> still 0.6.009, when Bruce's web page says that 0.6.010 was released last
> year. Do we have to update Athena/Artemis separately, and if so is there a
> way for PC users to do this without downloading the entire Ifeffit package
> again?

Hi Peter,

The intention of the updater is to update any files in the ifeffit
installation that need updating.  That would include my codes and all
supporting files provided by me.

That said, you are correct that I should have made sure 0.6.010 rather
than 009 was included in the most recent updater.  D'oh!  However, I
just looked at my change logs.  The release I made in early December
was mostly about Athena.  There are only three entries in the change
log for Artemis on that date.  Two of them are cosmetic and the third
is a bugfix that you would really have to put on your thinking cap to
find.  So, while I should have been more careful to ensure that
0.6.010 made it into the most recent updater, you are not missing out
on anything too important.

This isn't worth fixing.  I am almost ready to release new versions of
the codes.  I have been working for the last six weeks on some major
upgrades to Artemis.  I am working today on some documentation for all
that.  Once that is sufficiently done, I'll prepare a new update
package and make an announcement.

Thanks for following the situation so closely.  Feedback from you
users improves the Ifeffit experience for everyone.

 ********* PLEASE NOTE MY NEW PHONE, FAX, & ROOM NUMBERS ******************

 Bruce Ravel  ----------------------------------- ravel at phys.washington.edu
 Code 6134, Building 3, Room 405
 Naval Research Laboratory                          phone: (1) 202 767 2268
 Washington DC 20375, USA                             fax: (1) 202 767 4642

 Beamlines X11a, X11b, X23b
 National Synchrotron Light Source