[Ifeffit] Re: merging

Bruce Ravel ravel at phys.washington.edu
Thu Feb 12 16:52:43 CST 2004

Hi folks,

Last week Dan Carter asked the following question:

> I succeeded in merging the k-plots of several files in Athena, but
> failed at opening the data and graphing it in Artemis for fitting
> purposes.  Is this merging function purely for use in Athena?  You'd
> made it sound like I could use that data for fitting.  If it is
> possible to export the merge to Artemis for a fit, let me know how.

I occurs to me that I may have misunderstood the source of confusion.
In any case, there is an aspect to how I intend that the user move
data from Athena to Artemis that may be ambiguous.

Athena project files are only for use with Athena.  Artemis does not
at this time have the ability to read data out of an Athena project
file.

The only way to move a spectrum from Athena to Artemis at this time is
to save the group in Athena [1] to a column data file.  This is done
by selecting "Save chi(k)" from the File menu.

Things that will not work for moving data from Athena to Artemis
include:
  1. Saving data as an Athena project file and trying to open it with
     Artemis
  2. Saving marked groups as an Athena project file and trying to open
     it with Artemis
  3. Saving marked groups as column data "Save marked groups as data"
     submenu in the File menu then trying to open that multi-column
     data file in Artemis.
  4. Saving data as mu(E) or chi(R) and trying to open it with
     Artemis.

If something in Athena's documentation or something I said on this
list suggested that one of those was possible, I would like to
apologize for the confusion.

In the next version of Artemis, it will be possible to select one
column from one of the multi-column output files, as in #3 above.
That new version will be available soon.

In the future, I certainly want to be able to point Artemis at an
Athena project file and have Artemis extract one or more data groups
for use in fitting.  That, however, is not a high priority for me, so
it may be a while before I get around to implementing it.

Regards,

[1] i.e. the data associated with an entry in the Groups list in the
    skinny, scrollable panel in the upper right side of the Athena
    window.  That data may be a group associate with a file or it may
    be data created entirely within Athena -- for instance a merge.
    Anything that can be listed in the Groups list can be written to
    an output file.

--
 ********* PLEASE NOTE MY NEW PHONE, FAX, & ROOM NUMBERS ******************

 Bruce Ravel  ----------------------------------- ravel at phys.washington.edu
 Code 6134, Building 3, Room 405
 Naval Research Laboratory                          phone: (1) 202 767 2268
 Washington DC 20375, USA                             fax: (1) 202 767 4642

 Beamlines X11a, X11b, X23b
 National Synchrotron Light Source