[Ifeffit] Trying to get started

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Mon Feb 9 09:31:24 CST 2004

Hi Everyone,

Yep, I see the same failure of 1.2.5 on a WinXP machine, though it
works on my main desktop.  A clean install of 1.2.4, plus installing
updater 1.1, and taking all the updates works for me (there is not
yet an update that goes from 1.2.4+updates to 1.2.5).

I believe the problem is that the grwnd.exe file got accidently
changed in the release of Ifeffit 1.2.5.  What I don't understand is
why it worked for me (unless the older grwnd.exe was found somewhere
earlier in the path???).  I'll post a fix as soon as possible: both
as ifeffit-1.2.5a.exe and as an update which should upgrade
ifeffit-1.2.4 and the broken ifeffit-1.2.5.  Hopefully, this will be
available later this morning.

I suspect that something else must be going on for Michel.  I've
seen Ifeffit 1.2.4 plus Updater 1.1 work well on many Windows
machines.  I haven't heard otherwise until this report.

Bruce said:

> I will state (again) that a small number of dedicated pre-testing
> volunteers could go a long way towards rooting out these problems
> *before* they get widely released.  Of course, I have asked for
> volunteers of this sort in the past and have received, at best,
> unfulfilled promises.  But I am willing once again to do my best Don
> Quixote impression....

There is no special category of beta-testers because no one has
offered to do this.  Having beta-testers would be OK with me. Having
someone else take over build and support Windows releases would be
even better, but I'm not optimistic about this.  What is more likely
is that Windows releases will fall very far behind source releases.
The desire to release 1.2.5 for all platforms _definitely_ delayed
the release of the source code, which won't happen again.

Since there are no special beta-testers, everyone ends up being a
beta-tester.  So thanks to Doug and Scott and Michel for the
reports, and sorry for the trouble!