[Ifeffit] Trying to get started

Bruce Ravel ravel at phys.washington.edu
Mon Feb 9 08:52:59 CST 2004

On Monday 09 February 2004 03:20 am, SCHLEGEL Michel 177447 wrote:
> The very same thing happened to me on a Windows 2000 PC. I tried
> to remove and reinstall completely Ifeffit 1.2.5, but it didn't
> work. Then I removed Ifeffit 1.2.5 (including erasing the
> folders by hand once the 'uninstall' software was run), and
> installed Ifeffit 1.2.4: same trouble. And Ifeffit 1.2.2:
> bis repetita non placent. Finally, I had to dig out an old
> Ifeffit 1.0075 version (sigh...)

I did not have quite the same experience as Michel on my Win2K
machine, but I may have done something slightly different.

1. I uninstalled 1.2.5 using the uninstall menu item in the Start menu.

2. Then I deleted the C:\Program Files\Ifeffit folder that got left
   behind once the uninstall was done.

3. Then I downloaded the 1.2.4 installer package from
     http://cars9.uchicago.edu/ifeffit/src/

4. Then I installed 1.2.4.

5. Then I ran athena (version 0.8.023 is what comes with ifeffit 1.2.4
   -- not too out of date!) and it seemed to work ok.  I did *not*
   allow the updater to update beyond 1.2.4, which would (I presume)
   return me to square one.

Of course, your athena and artemis configuration files and most
recently used files will be lost doing what I did.  (Unless you back
them up first!)

HTH,

 Bruce Ravel  ----------------------------------- ravel at phys.washington.edu
 Code 6134, Building 3, Room 222
 Naval Research Laboratory                          phone: (1) 202 767 5947
 Washington DC 20375, USA                             fax: (1) 202 767 1697

 Beamlines X11a, X11b, X23b
 National Synchrotron Light Source