[Ifeffit] Athena windows version and graphics problem under xp and Windows 2000

Bruce Ravel ravel at phys.washington.edu
Wed Dec 22 10:31:40 CST 2004

On Wednesday 22 December 2004 01:13 am, Paul Fons wrote:
> Well the subject basically states the problem.  I am a mac user and
> athena and friends work out of the box without problem.  Here at
> SPring-8, I just tried to install horae into both a windows 2000 and
> and xp machine and am having some trouble with properly displaying
> graphics.  The install goes fine (all default values chosen), however,
> when athena is asked to do a plot, the graphics window opens, but only
> (apparently) the background is drawn.  As I just tried this on two
> (Japanese language) machines here, one running 2000 and one running XP,
> I thought someone must have seen this problem before and found a
> solution.  Any ideas?  I am not a windows user, so I have a very
> limited understanding of why things might not work right (dll conflicts
> being one such example).  Thanks for any help.

I am not hugely more knowledgable about these things -- particularly
when non-western languages are involved.  That said, I have observed
my software working on a Japanese version of a windows operating
system.

A few questions:

1.  I presume that you are trying this with raw data known to work on
    other computers (say the copper data that comes with the
    examples).  Do you see this behavior with any data?  Do you see
    this behavior when importing a project file known to work on
    another computer?

2.  Does anything interesting get written to the console?  The console
    is the other item on the task bar labeled "Athena".  It typically
    stays on the task bar and should be blank if enerything is working
    well.

3.  Does anything interesting get written to the ifeffit buffer?  Lots
    of blue text in the ifeffit buffer is Athena's way of highlighting
    ifeffit confusion.

 Bruce Ravel  ----------------------------------- ravel at phys.washington.edu
 Code 6134, Building 3, Room 405
 Naval Research Laboratory                          phone: (1) 202 767 2268
 Washington DC 20375, USA                             fax: (1) 202 767 4642

 Beamlines X11a, X11b, X23b
 National Synchrotron Light Source