[Ifeffit] Re: EXAFS-Question concerning \delta(k)

Kelly, Shelly D. SKelly at anl.gov
Thu Dec 9 09:01:48 CST 2004

Hi,

[Kelly, Shelly D.] I think that my explanation for a negative phase shift is just the same, but slightly easier for my brain to comprehend.  Which means that I'll make some mistakes but it works for me..:)

The photoelectron is negative and it scatters off of the electrons from the surrounding atoms.  Hence the photoelectron is slowed down when it gets close to the other electrons.  Negative and Negative repel, giving rise to fewer periods of oscillations, and a negative phase shift.

As for the magnitude of the shift, lighter elements have a larger shift than the heaver elements.  You can think about that by remembering that lighter elements scatter more at low k.  If you have a photoelectron that scatters with very little energy (moving slowly) it will be slowed down more by the electrons.  Heaver elements scatter more at high k.  So, a photoelectron that scatters with a lot of energy will not get slowed down as much, hence a smaller phase shift.

HTH
Shelly