[Ifeffit] Frustrating monochromator glitch

Carlo U. Segre segre at iit.edu
Wed Dec 8 22:59:53 CST 2004

Dear Mark:

A monochromator glitch is when, because of some small misalignment of one
of the two (generally) monochromator crystals, a parasitic reflection
comes into Bragg alignment and reflects a significant maount of intensity
off into a direction which is not towards the sample.  These reflections
can be shifted around or removed by tweaking the crystal in question in
one of the two axes perpendicular to the primary axis of rotation of the
monochromator.  Sometimes this is not possible (as with a cryogenically
cooled first crystal where these additional motions are not readily
available) and you just have to live with them.

You will notice the Io drops precipitously at a glitch and this will cause
a reduction of intensity in your It or If detector as well.  If the
detectors which you are using are well matched in their response to
changes in intensity, the glitch is mitigated in the ratioed XAFS data.
This is usually possible to do in a transmission experiment, where both
detectors are ionization chambers.  You can test for this before starting
your data collection by plotting the ratio of Io/It and deliberately
attenuate the beam.  If the ratio remains constant, you have a good chance
of not seeing the effects of the glitch in the data.

It is much more difficult when you are doing fluorescence experiments
since the fluorescence detector is hardly ever a perfect match with Io.
In these cases, you just have to try to minimize the differences in
response by trying different things.  With a Fluorescence Ion chamber, you
might try increasing the potential on the chamber (just as long as you
don't get a shock!).  With a solid state detector, you just have to fuss
around until you are satisfied that you have the best match between
detector responses.

There is no way that I know of correcting numerically for nonlinearities
in the two detectors.  Deglitching will have to be done.  In fact, you
need to make sure that the nonlinearities are not effect on the shape of
the edge itself, since that is potentailly a place where there is a
significant change in intensity in one of the detectors.

I am sure that I haven't covered everything.

Hope this helps,

Carlo

--
Carlo U. Segre -- Professor of Physics