[Ifeffit] common mono crystals

Bruce Ravel ravel at phys.washington.edu
Wed Dec 1 09:24:17 CST 2004

Hi folks,

One of my chores for today is to implement a utility in Athena for
converting encoder readings in a raw data file into energy.  This will
make some of the data in the Lytle database a bit easier to use.  One
of the things that the user must specify is the d-spacing of the mono
crystal.  I want to provide a menu of common crystals.

The orange book is kind enough to provide an exhaustive list -- but
it's kind of overkill.  Somehow I doubt if many people are using a
sucrose 001 monochromator even though that d-spacing is given in the
orange book ;-)  (Really!  It's on page 4-12!)

I want to do an informal survey of what crystals the ifeffit crowd
regularly uses.  I am certainly going to include Si111, Si311, and
Si200 in the list, so I don't need to hear from people who use those
crystals.  What others should go in the list?  Beryl?  Germanium?
Graphite?  Let me know....

Thanks,

 Bruce Ravel  ----------------------------------- ravel at phys.washington.edu
 Code 6134, Building 3, Room 405
 Naval Research Laboratory                          phone: (1) 202 767 2268
 Washington DC 20375, USA                             fax: (1) 202 767 4642

 Beamlines X11a, X11b, X23b
 National Synchrotron Light Source