[Ifeffit] news and new releases

Bruce Ravel ravel at phys.washington.edu
Mon Aug 30 13:51:11 CDT 2004

Hi folks,

I just uploaded a new source code tarball of Athena, Artemis, and
Hephaestus to SourceForge.  This release includes several bug fixes
from the last couple of months and a few new features.  An updater for
the Windows users should follow soon.

Here are the release notes on SF:

   http://sourceforge.net/project/shownotes.php?release_id=264418

The highlights:

1.  The first tarball with a version of the development branch.  I'll
    discuss this more in another message to the mailing list later
    this afternoon.

2.  You can now use CIF files for your crystallography data.  I added
    funtionality to one of the libraries associated with Atoms to
    handle CIF files.  This means than any program built off of those
    libraries automatically reads CIF files.  The one caveat is that
    atoms and tkatoms will only read the first record in a
    multi-record CIF file.  Extracting a later record requires some
    additional code at the level of the application rather than the
    library.  Artemis will pop up a dialog for selecting from a
    multi-record CIF file.  TkAtoms will not.  You should consider the
    CIF functionality experimental.  There are some tricky parts and I
    am not sure that my implementation will work in all situation.
    Please contact me in person or via the list if you have any
    trouble with CIF files.

3.  A new look, a new utility, and several bug fixes in Hephaestus.

4.  The horae_update script was updated to loop through the SF servers
    until it finds one that responds with the tarball.

Special thanks this time to Dave Barton, my CIF implementation
borrowed heavily from his handy cif2inp tool.  Dave also made a number
of good sugestions regarding Athena and Hephaestus.  Also thanks to
Tony Lanzirotti and Sean Luo, both of whom reported significant bugs
that got fixed.

 Bruce Ravel  ----------------------------------- ravel at phys.washington.edu
 Code 6134, Building 3, Room 405
 Naval Research Laboratory                          phone: (1) 202 767 2268
 Washington DC 20375, USA                             fax: (1) 202 767 4642

 Beamlines X11a, X11b, X23b
 National Synchrotron Light Source