[Ifeffit] artemis split off source

Bruce Ravel ravel at phys.washington.edu
Mon Aug 30 08:17:10 CDT 2004

Paul,

I'll look into the thing with the sum of paths.  Thanks for the report.

> A trivial question perhaps... I understand that the Artemis source is
> being split into a development version and a stable version.  For those
> (like me) who like to live on the bleeding edge, where will the various
> sources reside?  In particular, will the update_horae script upgrade to
> the latest development version (or perhaps there should be a switch for
> using the development version so it can't be executed by accident)?

Funny you should ask today because I was planning to answer your
question by example later today!

It is true that I am now maintaining two branches of Artemis.  The
stable branch is only getting bug fixes.  The development branch, as
you will soon see, aready as several significant new features as well
as a facelift for its appearence.  You bleeding edge sorts will soon
have a lot to play with -- by which I mean, of course, a lot of new
bugs to report ;-)

The development version gets built and installed at the same time as
the stable version when you build from source.  That means that the
horae_update script will automatically install both branches.  The
main program of the development version is called "diana" -- perhaps a
little cutesy, but consistent with my naming theme.  Additionally,
there are a handful of files that get installed that are used only by
the development version.

It will, therefore, be very easy to switch back and forth between the
to branches.

For those who do not use the source tarballs (mostly Windows users) I
won't be building executables of the development version until it has
been tested for a while.  I would like to avoid the confusion and
difficulties from this spring and summer following the addition of
atoms, feff, and the new project format.  My hope is that the
development process will weed out those bugs before the new code goes
into wide use.  My hope is to transition the development features into
the stable branch in November or December.

 Bruce Ravel  ----------------------------------- ravel at phys.washington.edu
 Code 6134, Building 3, Room 405
 Naval Research Laboratory                          phone: (1) 202 767 2268
 Washington DC 20375, USA                             fax: (1) 202 767 4642

 Beamlines X11a, X11b, X23b
 National Synchrotron Light Source