[Ifeffit] Topical issue for XAFS 12

Bruce Ravel ravel at phys.washington.edu
Wed Aug 11 10:30:58 CDT 2004

On Wednesday 11 August 2004 11:19 am, Matt Newville wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just to confuse the issue:
>
> I got message this from Roger Wappling, editor of Physica Scripta,
> on Aug 1 indicating that they were in the typesetting phase and
> hoped to get the proceedings out in late 2004. Given the common
> experience of poor communication with the people in charge, I can
> certainly believe the 2005 estimate is more realistic.
>
> I'm not at all sympathetic to their problem: their job is to
> publish work in a timely manner, and they have not done this.
> Communication with the editors has been terrible.  I cannot
> understand why this journal was used instead of Journal of
> Synchrotron Radiation, but I think we should learn from this
> experience and make sure it does not happen again.  Future
> conference proceedings should be published in an IUCr journal.
> The IXS charter and by-laws should be changed to state this.
>
> Well, that's my opinion anyway.

And a valid one at that.

Is anyone involved in planning the 2006 conference a regular reader of
this mailing list?  If so, could you give us some information about
what journal will be used?

Thanks,

P.S. I received an author's proof of one of my article for the X12
proceedings from Physica Scripta the other day.  It wasn't the
Athena/Artemis paper, however ;-(

 Bruce Ravel  ----------------------------------- ravel at phys.washington.edu
 Code 6134, Building 3, Room 405
 Naval Research Laboratory                          phone: (1) 202 767 2268
 Washington DC 20375, USA                             fax: (1) 202 767 4642

 Beamlines X11a, X11b, X23b
 National Synchrotron Light Source