[Ifeffit] Capillaries

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Thu Apr 29 14:06:55 CDT 2004

Hi Paul,

I probably have as much experience with micro-XAFS as anyone on this
list, and am willing to make a few comments.

First, Steve Heald and Dale Brewe at APS/PNC-CAT have extensive
experience making and using single capillaries for focussing --
probably more than anyone else.   They're really the people to ask.

Second, I believe there is not a commercial supplier of suitable
capillaries, and that Heald and Brewe made essentially all of their
own capillaries. After a few years of experience, I believe they
could get 1 micron spots fairly routinely.

Third, I think the consensus is that capillaries don't work too well
for EXAFS.  I wouldn't be willing to say that PNC-CAT has abandoned
them, but I haven't seen capillaries used for this purpose in a long
time.  Without going into the details of the problems here, I can
say that we at GSECARS and Heald etal at PNC-CAT regularly use 10cm
long KB mirrors to focus APS undulator A to 2-3 microns for
micro-XAFS, and that other beamlines at APS and other sources use
such mirrors for micro-beam work as well.

Fourth, Micro-EXAFS with a 1 micron beam and a 1 micron sample is
challenging because of sample vibrations.  But as the sample and
spot size get to 5 to 10 microns, it works reasonably well.  Many
problems that appear to need 1 micron can get by with 5 microns,
especially when the penetration depth is considered.

Fifth, getting below 10 microns is heavily dependent on source
characteristics, especially divergence.  A 4m in vacuum undulator is
an excellent start, but you might need to remove the larger beamline
mirrors and slit down the source to get to 1 micron.

Finally, It might be worth considering taking your experiment to an
existing micro-EXAFS beamline, or visiting one ahead of time. ;).

--Matt